What is Phlegm in Chinese medicine?
Phlegm is build-up of Dampness that has been overly heated by the body and then mixed with water.
There are 2 kinds of Phlegm:
- Substantial Phlegm - comes out of mouth and nose.
- Insubstantial - can form in the body as lumps, nodules, bumps and cysts.
Phlegm is like having a build-up of dirt that continues to have more dirt added to it until it collects into a mound of dirt. Then, some water is introduced to that mound of dirt and it creates a thick, goopy form of mud.
How is Phlegm generated?
When unwanted or needed water enters the body, it combines with proteins and dampness that's lodged in tissues and creates a viscus Phlegm.
How can Phlegm manifest?
- As clear Phlegm that you cough up or sneeze out.
- As yellow Phlegm that you cough up or sneeze out.
- As brown Phlegm that you cough up or sneeze out.
- Lumps, nodules, bumps and cysts that may form in the arms, chest, neck, etc.
How to improve and then prevent Phlegm?
- Avoid damp producing foods.
- Avoid spicy food.
- Remove any substantial Phlegm when you cough it up.
- Movement helps get rid of dampness Low impact exercise such as Qigong, Taichi, Yoga are excellent to counter Dampness.
- Go see a Licensed Acupuncturist and/or Herbalist who can help expel it from your body. They can also transform phlegm back into damp, then damp into water.